Brown Rice Stuffing
Delicious as a side dish or for stuffing squash or peppers
This vegetarian| vegan stuffing is more than a thanksgiving stuffing recipe, because it doesn't go in a turkey, and is delicious on its own as a rice side dish recipe.
If you want to stuff something, use brown rice stuffing instead of quinoa in stuffed peppers, or stuff a winter squash.
Brown Rice Stuffing contributed by our friend Odette Smith, and tweaked by Judith Kingsbury, Savvy Vegetarian.
Total Prep And Cook Time: 1 hour
Nutrition Data, 111g Serving: 246 Cal, 28g Carbs, 14g Fat, 6g sugars, 159mg Sodium, 3g Fiber, 5g Protein, very low Cholesterol, good source Vit A, Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 15
- 1 cup raw short grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Optional: 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 large crisp green apple such as granny smith, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced jeruselum artichokes, or water chestnuts
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 1 tsp dried rubbed sage leaf
- 1 tsp crushed dried rosemary leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper OR to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Bring water or vegetable stock to a boil
- Add brown rice and salt, cover, bring back to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer and cook 35 minutes, until rice is still slightly chewy
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat
- Fry the optional onion until soft
- Add the pecans, carrot and celery and sauté 5 minutes
- Add herbs and stir fry 1 minute
- Stir in the cooked rice along with the chopped apple and jeruselum artichokes or water chestnuts
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Stir in the parsley and remove from heat
- Stuff prepared peppers or squash
To serve as a side dish, the rice should be cooked an additional 10 minutes, until completely tender.
When used as a stuffing, the rice will cook more inside the peppers or squash.
When serving this dish as a side, instead of as a stuffing, increase the rice cooking time to 45 minutes, adding the sauteed ingredients in the last 5 minutes, and the parsley, salt & pepper at the end of cooking.
Sauteed mushrooms are a nice alternative to apple in this recipe when serving as a side dish.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us